The Nightside
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Fair is foul and foul is fair

5 posters

Page 1 of 7 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Go down

Fair is foul and foul is fair Empty Fair is foul and foul is fair

Post  Djehuty Tue Nov 01, 2011 9:09 pm

The talk weaves itself in circles, always returning to Hans, Igancy's mad friend, our best lead and longest shot. They conjecture and spin fantastic what-ifs; all the while, Lily contemplates her drink. 'Make a choice and stand by it,' her thoughts scream at them; 'If it weren't for the percentage, I'd be up and gone, and the longer they sit...' fidgeting with her napkin under the table, Lily's hand brushes Eve, the coatl that chose her not two days ago. She purrs up at Lily raising her head slightly, pushing her silver-white headdress into the palm of Lily's hand. Absently, she stroked it beneath the chin before turning her attention back to the conversation. Liv, the picture of all suffering, sat between Liam and Ignacy as they began to once more argue the merits and vices of the Nazi regime. Elves keep popping in and out of the conversation, excitedly introduced by Ignacy and coolie dismissed by Liv.

Food comes and goes, large communal plates of eatables which vanish in short order.

Finally, half an hour after the last plate has been cleared and the conversation once again begins to circle back from whence it came, Lily glares up at all involved.

"Make a choice already! We've been sitting still for almost two hours, retracing the same path some dozen times!" Glowering, she takes a drink from her glass. "Your guessin won't get us anywhere, an if this Hans is half as mad as 'the Boulder' over er, e won't be of much elp either."
Djehuty
Djehuty

Back to top Go down

Fair is foul and foul is fair Empty Re: Fair is foul and foul is fair

Post  Liam Tue Nov 01, 2011 11:20 pm

I look over at lily "Breath putian, us talking in circles is helping us try and figure out what we are up against, and what else we need. now calm down" going off half cocked is an experience i am unwilling to repeat
Liam
Liam
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Djehuty Tue Nov 01, 2011 11:32 pm

Looking to the door, Lily sighs. "Decisiveness is half of success. Continue."
Djehuty
Djehuty

Back to top Go down

Fair is foul and foul is fair Empty re:fair and foul

Post  Liv Tue Nov 01, 2011 11:33 pm

I lean back. "Well, we might as well go and meet this fellow, I say. Whether he helps us or not, we'll have followed our lead."
Liv
Liv
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Liam Tue Nov 01, 2011 11:54 pm

"Fair enough, Thanks for the stop for food, we need to keep on our toes and being distracted by stomachs is bad." I stand up "lily decisive and rushed have a fine line between them, and many 'decisive' actions have months of intel or years of training behind them, this is prep work" then looking at Ignacy "lead on oh valiant defender of the riech 'honor' " I smirk at the light teasing for his choice of side in our arguement
Liam
Liam
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Liv Tue Nov 01, 2011 11:59 pm

I frown as we make our way out. There was no honor in what those men did to their own kind. None.
And yet....and yet our friend was among them. And he is an honorable man...human honor. Human codes of justice. They are all too subjective, terribly easy to bend if you need to justify something...
for a few blocks, my mind is occupied with the confusing ideas of honor and what it means. All the thoughts seem to coalesce as my gaze falls on Lily. This, at least, I may finally understand.
"Lily, will you walk with me?" I ask quietly, "I'd like to show you something."
Liv
Liv
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Djehuty Wed Nov 02, 2011 12:05 am

"What is it?" Lily looks both ways before pick up pace to match Liv's.
Djehuty
Djehuty

Back to top Go down

Post  Liv Wed Nov 02, 2011 12:25 am

Reaching down in one practiced motion, I draw my blade. "You've seen me fight with my blade, but I don't think you've ever seen it up close." Seeing the sudden fear blossom in her head, I smile encouragingly, holding the blade out to her hilt-first. "It's kinsteel, I think men call it titanium. I was given this years ago, when I was still a child. You see how long and thin the blade is? How flexible it is? It's not really the usual style for fighting knives, is it?"
Liv
Liv
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Djehuty Wed Nov 02, 2011 12:28 am

"I like it myself. A more accurate, precise tool." She grins as she takes the hilt to hand and peers down the keen blade.
Djehuty
Djehuty

Back to top Go down

Post  Liv Wed Nov 02, 2011 12:42 am

"It's called a flensing knife. I was raised among my mother's people. You can think of them as river selkies. These knives are designed for gutting fish, for peaceful work." I let my voice sink into a soft, thoughtful cadence. "But when we are young, we all learn how to use our knives for battle as well as peace. When I was a child, I lived with a clan. We call it a holt. Mothers, fathers, grandparents, second and third and sixth cousins all living together. The clan cares for every member. We hate fighting, we Dratsie. But we all learn it, because each of us wants to defend every other when the need comes." I glance at her, gauging her reaction. "Together we are like a holt. Each of us cares for every other. You see us as an angle and an easy meal. And I do not ask you to see us as more. Perhaps you will want to one day. Perhaps not. But we will protect you. Some things are important enough to risk yourself a little for. At least we think so."
Liv
Liv
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Djehuty Wed Nov 02, 2011 12:49 am

"If you knew me, you wouldn't want me to be part o your kin." She glances up the street then back to Liv.
Djehuty
Djehuty

Back to top Go down

Post  Liv Wed Nov 02, 2011 12:54 am

I smile. "Every one of us is a misfit, Lily. There are many who would say that once you knew what I am, you wouldn't want me near either. Give yourself a chance." For a moment, I catch Lily's eye. "You run and run and work the percentages hoping that you can keep running. I've spent decades running, and yes, I said decades," I say, forestalling her words, "I'm older than I look. I spent decades running, and I learned that it does little good. Little good at all. There comes a day for all when you can't run any further. Think about it, and choose where you stand."
Liv
Liv
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Djehuty Wed Nov 02, 2011 12:57 am

"I stand, I die."
Djehuty
Djehuty

Back to top Go down

Post  Liv Wed Nov 02, 2011 12:59 am

Once more, I hold the girl's eyes. "Perhaps. But can you really call what you have been doing living? You don't live, my girl. You survive. It is your choice. But perhaps if you let us stand with you, you'd be surprised."
For a long moment, our eyes hold. Then Lily looks sharply away.
Liv
Liv
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Djehuty Wed Nov 02, 2011 1:02 am

"Lambkin met Walker. Anyone of you could tell me about him... and he would tell you I'm dangerous" She winces, looking curiously at an old woman passing on the street.
Djehuty
Djehuty

Back to top Go down

Post  Liv Wed Nov 02, 2011 1:08 am

I let out a bark of laughter. "My girl, you insult me by the implication!" She glances up sharply, but I grin teasingly. "Implying that the rest of us are little lambs, are you? We are all dangerous, each after our own way. Why, Ignacy himself is a walking disaster all on his own!" I'd let my voice rise on that,and Ignacy had turned to shoot me a look. I stick my tongue out at him. When I glance back at Lily, I see I did what I intended. A smile is back on her lips.
Liv
Liv
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Djehuty Wed Nov 02, 2011 1:13 am

"You won't want the trials I'll bring, but feel free to keep me as long as you can handle it, river dog." she smiles broadly and lets her pace slack to rejoin the group.
Djehuty
Djehuty

Back to top Go down

Post  Dunstfinkler Wed Nov 02, 2011 1:16 am

i shake my head "im not a walking disaster not my fault i got shit luck".

Dunstfinkler

Back to top Go down

Post  Djehuty Wed Nov 02, 2011 1:19 am

"You sir," Lily laughs, "Are an insufferable eavesdropper, and just such a disaster." she raps his chest, causing it to ring.

Last edited by Djehuty on Wed Nov 02, 2011 1:21 am; edited 1 time in total
Djehuty
Djehuty

Back to top Go down

Post  Liv Wed Nov 02, 2011 1:19 am

"And I suppose all the things that mysteriously get slashed, smashed or burnt around here have nothing at all to do with you, hmmm?" I call out teasingly.
Liv
Liv
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Dunstfinkler Wed Nov 02, 2011 1:21 am

i cross my hands "I dont know what you are talking about"

Dunstfinkler

Back to top Go down

Post  Djehuty Wed Nov 02, 2011 1:23 am

"Innocent don't suit you, Bedrock," Lily smiles.
Djehuty
Djehuty

Back to top Go down

Post  Liv Wed Nov 02, 2011 1:23 am

"No, not in the slightest." I agree, amused.
Liv
Liv
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Liam Wed Nov 02, 2011 1:35 am

"nope they suit me better" i grin
Liam
Liam
Admin

Back to top Go down