The Nightside
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Songs in the Dark

2 posters

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

Songs in the Dark - Page 2 Empty Re: Songs in the Dark

Post  Djehuty Wed Nov 16, 2011 10:19 pm

Reaching for her hand to comfort her, Djehuty looks back at the thing behind the mirrors. "What can be more natural then death? And how can nature be evil?" Shaking his head as if to banish a thought, he contemplates the cage while protectively wrapping an arm around Liv's shoulder. "Why?..." he begins before lapsing into thought.
Djehuty
Djehuty

Back to top Go down

Songs in the Dark - Page 2 Empty re:songs in the dark

Post  Liv Wed Nov 16, 2011 11:42 pm

"These people like pain." Liv murmurs, averting her eyes from the thing. "They like killing. It's a perfect fit, for such as them."
Liv
Liv
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Djehuty Wed Nov 16, 2011 11:57 pm

Sensing Liv's tension, Djehuty snaps back to himself; withdrawing from the room, he takes a final look at the spirit before gently closing the door. "You're right, lets get out of here." he murmurs semi-apologetically, "I think we've seen what there is to see."
Djehuty
Djehuty

Back to top Go down

Post  Liv Thu Nov 17, 2011 12:10 am

Liv nods fervently.
Through more mazed corridors, the two walk silently. Every door seems to open on more corridors. Turning a corner, they pass through a deserted mess hall.
"Leaving so soon?" The voice freezes the pair in their tracks.
From the shadows steps an elf, his black hair gleaming in the bright lights. "Why, and you've only just arrived."
Liv smiles grimly. "Your hospitality is as false as your words, spot face." Despite her pose, she could feel her heart sink. They'd almost made it...
Liv
Liv
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Djehuty Thu Nov 17, 2011 12:21 am

"The river mutt and the bard's whelp; the fates do favor me this long night." He responds evenly, disregarding Liv's words. Brushing at glint of silver in his raven black hair he contemplates the two of them loftily. "Doubtless you would escape me by some devious word or another," he scowls, "So you leave me little choice but to welcome you to our subterranean citadel and ensure that you realize that I am but the least of the horrors in these caverns. I command much respect and power, but," he glares at Liv, "a bard's curse weighs upon my shoulders and my control lags. So, nest easy in my hospitality or may the fates curse your path from my sanctuary." His face remains impassive after the final words, but a hint of victory shines behind golden eyes as he studies the pair.
Djehuty
Djehuty

Back to top Go down

Post  Liv Thu Nov 17, 2011 12:30 am

Liv takes a step forward. "We make our own fates. I walk my own road. What you have received is only payment in kind for what you offered." Slanting eyes lock, blue against yellow. "Let us out of here." Liv says. "Or you will live to regret it."
Liv
Liv
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Djehuty Thu Nov 17, 2011 12:39 am

"Quite the spirit; I have no intention of stopping you, but you may well wish you had accepted my invitation, kit." He shifts to a side, resting himself in a chair, though his eyes put a lie to his actions. "You will suffer as you have caused me to suffer, though as of this moment I wash my hands of your fate. Destiny holds it's own intentions for you."

"Enough of your prattle," Djehuty rolls his eyes. "The Washer Woman's words are not for her yet, elf, and you will not divulge more then you have."
Djehuty
Djehuty

Back to top Go down

Post  Liv Thu Nov 17, 2011 12:46 am

The elf's mouth snapped shut. Fury in his eyes, he pointed to a door at the other end of the hall. With a last glare, Liv turned on her heel. "Let each man be paid in kind for his acts." she said, and every word rang in the air. "Let each man reap the grain he sows."
Beyond the door, more corridors snaked. "Which way?" Liv murmured.
Liv
Liv
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Djehuty Thu Nov 17, 2011 12:53 am

"While I cheer your bravado, he did warn us," Djehuty smiles down at her. "Also, I think that it may be safe to assume that his Death will break free soon, as it appeared to be one of his major crops."
Djehuty
Djehuty

Back to top Go down

Post  Liv Thu Nov 17, 2011 12:56 am

"Well then let's get the hell out of here!" Liv says, elbowing her friend in the ribs. After a few steps, she takes his hand. "And Djhuety? Thanks."
Liv
Liv
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Djehuty Thu Nov 17, 2011 1:02 am

"Fates have a habit of intertwining," Djehuty smiles, squeezing her hand. "Now, further in and further up." He pause a moment before choosing a corridor with an upward slant. "At least they forwent stairs when they designed this place."
Djehuty
Djehuty

Back to top Go down

Post  Liv Thu Nov 17, 2011 1:06 am

Liv scowls, the expression making her pale face less human. "Wish they'd forgone a few other things. This place reeks of spells, and not the nice sort. And of blood." As they walked, she rubbed Sylus between the ears. She looked up as they turned a corner. "What was all that about with the elf? You said something about the Washer Woman. Someone's destiny been foretold?"
Liv
Liv
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Djehuty Thu Nov 17, 2011 1:01 pm

"He was speaking out of turn." Djehuty growls uneasily. "And he knew it. Somethings are best held close to the vest until it is too late for the events foretold to be averted." He turns his head to avoid Liv's eyes, staring into the dim lights ahead.
Djehuty
Djehuty

Back to top Go down

Post  Liv Thu Nov 17, 2011 1:06 pm

Liv shot him an exasperated glare. "Oh thanks, that was really helpful. keep up with the half-answers and you can set up as an oracle in your own right."
Liv
Liv
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Djehuty Thu Nov 17, 2011 1:30 pm

"I am an oracle by virtue of my gift," Djehuty looks hurt, "I'd rather not cement your path by speaking too freely of it. My control is much improved, these last six months, but there are still somethings I will not speak of unless forced to."
Djehuty
Djehuty

Back to top Go down

Post  Liv Thu Nov 17, 2011 1:36 pm

Liv's dark brows lifted. "Six months. You've been world-walking." She studied her friend for a moment. "I wondered. You feel different. Not so nervous any more. You're more sure. It suits you." She smiled, and lifted an arm to lay a hand on her friend's shoulder. The gesture ended in a hiss of pain. Liv clutches her side. "Ah. I should have healed those..." She catches the alarm on her friend's face, and smiles slightly. "A few knife cuts. They're shallow, more to cause pain than to draw blood. Don't worry about it."
Liv
Liv
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Djehuty Thu Nov 17, 2011 1:39 pm

A look of shame and worry crosses his face. "I didn't tell the story far enough back then. My goal was to remove your serious injuries."
Djehuty
Djehuty

Back to top Go down

Post  Liv Thu Nov 17, 2011 2:03 pm

"No worries. I can fix myself when we're out of this, easy enough."
Liv
Liv
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Djehuty Thu Nov 17, 2011 2:22 pm

Continuing on in silence for a ways always upward, the pair begin to understand the potential vastness of the elf's citadel. Rushing figures dart out of corridors, some with calm, resigned looks, counting their paces, others baring the marks of panic and disappearing down tributary halls as if the hosts of hell were on their heal. Dark shapes linger in doorways and for a brief moment, pure light eradicates the very structure of existence before drift as a feather downward toward the heart of the world, leaving all as it was before. A pair of coal red eyes appear at chest height in front of Djehuty, gathering darkness together until it nearly glows in the shape of a spectral hound. It bars their progress, growling menacingly.
Djehuty
Djehuty

Back to top Go down

Post  Liv Thu Nov 17, 2011 2:25 pm

"Darkhound!" Liv hisses. Reaching into the pocket of her jeans, she pulls a powder, tossing it over the creature with a quickly muttered poem. The thing disappears with the echo of a howl. "Powdered rowan berries and salt. Never leave home without it." Liv says, giving her friend a wink.
Another turn, and Liv winces back. "Ug!" flayed bodies lay in every corner, intestines festooning the walls. Blood and shit had sprayed in every direction.
Liv swallowed hard, and the two picked their way through the mess.
"Let's not meet whatever did that." Liv whispers as they turn another corner. Her friend nodded fervently. Their feet left bloody footprints.
Another turn. The halls seemed to go on forever.
Then Liv froze, cocking her head as if listening. Slowly, she smiled.
"You feel that?" she asks, getting a blank look in response. Her smile widened into a grin. "I think the cavalry's coming."
A roar behind her made her turn. "And I think we better move. Which way?"
The rumble froze them both in their steps. "Wha..." Liv murmured. The rumble came again. Continuous rumbles. It sounded a lot like...footsteps.
Liv grabbed her friend's hand. "Run!!!"
Behind them, another scream, high and wailing. Liv puts another burst of speed. "Damnu! A wendigo! Come on!"
Dashing between halls, they manage to dodge around two minotaurs with axes, their speed never slacking. The minataurs bellow and turn to attack, but after a few moments their pounding feet fall behind. Minutes later, the bellowing changed to bovine screams. Up. They had to get up, and out of here.
Her ribs ached. She could feel wetness along her side. Wound must have opened up again. But no time for that. A Wendigo would never stop chasing....unless it couldn't find them...
Pulling Djhuety down another hall, Liv raises her voice.
After a few minutes, a creature walked through the hall. It carried the smell of ice, and blood, in its white fur. A keening noise rose from the claws it ran along the walls. And its face...
After a few more minutes, a whisper sounded in a seemingly empty hall. "Gods damn. One of those things? How crazy are they..."
With a note of song, the two reappear. Liv takes Djhuety's hand. "Okay, where to now?"

Liv
Liv
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum