The Nightside
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Fair is foul and foul is fair

5 posters

Page 3 of 7 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Go down

Fair is foul and foul is fair - Page 3 Empty re:fair and foul

Post  Liv Fri Nov 04, 2011 12:04 am

As we file from one dusty room to another, the sound of turning cogs and the creak of wood in my ears, I watch the man ahead of us. My whole body is tense as a bowstring. He's using that gun as a walking stick for now....but if he moves the wrong way....not that it would be easy to tell. The man would have been tall, but for the twisted spine that bends him near double. He walks with a bandy-legged, almost hopping gait, pushing himself forward. His dark pants seem too long for his frame, and the dark coat hangs at an odd angle over his bent frame, the old hat that must have come from his army slanted across his low brow, giving his bearded face an incongruous rakish look. The blonde hair it covers seems odd in contrast to the rest of his appearance; you would have expected dingy grey, not wheat-yellow. In fact, I think, everything in him seems....odd. Distorted. The deformation is part of it, but so too is the hue of his skin, grayish, almost green, with an odd pearl sheen to it. And his eyes....something in those eyes reminded me more of things you see sideways to the sun than anything mankind produces. Strange, grey eyes, swirling like fog banks. And his emotions....well, they're just as strange as his eyes. I look away. A distorted mind. But what can you expect? This man belonged among thugs and monsters and murderers.You don't need to cause cruelty among humans. They do it best on their own. In the name of purity, they convinced themselves of anything. Purity, that terrible lie of both my bloodlines. Pure race, clean blood. And what they did to attain it....what they convinced themselves should be done....at best, criminally blind and stupid. At worst....
But Ignacy was among them as well. And yet he is an honorable man. How can this be?
Perhaps it is true what history says, that the men were only told they were winning glory for their people. Perhaps. But still...I glance again at the warped body of Hans, and away again. Still...
Liv
Liv
Admin

Back to top Go down

Fair is foul and foul is fair - Page 3 Empty Re: Fair is foul and foul is fair

Post  Liam Fri Nov 04, 2011 11:17 am

I stalk along near our eccentric host, the man is odd to say the least, and I am not sure the madness is born of his operations or of something deeper. He rambles on switching between German and italian seemingly at random making it hard to follow what he says, I have heard the languages enough to recognize them even if i don't speak them. eventually i fall back slowly near the others. lookng askance at ignacy, the man in front of us would be a dangerous ally at best, and an unpredictable enemy at worst. "hans" I ask slowly "why did you make this place?" to have it be so intricate i assume it would be a labor of love, or what ever it is he takes for love, Hopefully that will get him started talking and we can begin easing information from his shattered mind
Liam
Liam
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Dunstfinkler Fri Nov 04, 2011 12:19 pm

he looks at me strangely and says in an italian accent "you are their ally and you didnt tell them?" i sigh and turn towards the others hans waves dismissively as we enter what appears to be a large command center buzzing with activity

Dunstfinkler

Back to top Go down

Post  Liam Fri Nov 04, 2011 11:11 pm

I look around the command center of the building "okay so help me if some disembodied head says "you have been chosen to save the world" I can and will kill something suddenly, violently, and all over the place, as john taylor would say." I smirk as I look at Ignacy "didn't tell us what? we all have secrets they get shared in time no sooner no later"
Liam
Liam
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Kaija Fri Nov 04, 2011 11:59 pm

I can hear a voice urging me to walk to Ignacy-so I do. I place my hands gingerly on either side of his shoulders and sit there like a lump awaiting further orders.

Kaija

Back to top Go down

Post  Liv Sat Nov 05, 2011 12:06 am

For a moment, something twitches in my thoughts, twisting like a worm. I gasp, squeezing my eyes closed against the intrusion. With a hard mental shove, I lock it out of my mind. *Stay out, asshole!* with a hard shake of my head, I turn to Lily. "Close your mind. Do it now! Kaija, you too, NOW!"
Liv
Liv
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Kaija Sat Nov 05, 2011 12:07 am

I partially close my mind to intrusion. What I sacrifice I do so in order to allow myself to shriek into the mind of the intrusion. He has entered my battlefield, and I accept his challenge.

Kaija

Back to top Go down

Post  Djehuty Sat Nov 05, 2011 12:44 am

A yelp from outside signals the success of Kaija's attack as Lily darts to a window to peek out. The figure in the street glares up before crouching and slipping around the corner of the building, a olive grey trench coat and cap hardly visible in the dim luminescence of the faces of Hans' clock.

"He's around the back." she whispers as she pulls her head back in.
Djehuty
Djehuty

Back to top Go down

Post  Liv Sat Nov 05, 2011 12:47 am

"Slippery eel of a bastard," I growl, "he tries that again and I'll make him pay for it!" I turn to Ignacy. "So, now that you've led us into a nest of vipers, what do you suggest?" I ask waspishly.
Liv
Liv
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Liam Sat Nov 05, 2011 12:53 am

"Liv" I snap "how much do you think that the individuals involved could have been watching and wanted to try and make us take Hans" my voice is a little harsher then normal "he has already proven that he is more with us then some would be." I glance at hans "how well fortified are you?"
Liam
Liam
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Djehuty Sat Nov 05, 2011 1:21 am

The shadowed figure in the ally slumps, rubbing his temples, attempting to excise the scream still echoing in the deeper corners. Shaking his head, he manages to focus and glancing both ways for observers, he unsheathes a long skinning knife from his right boot and cuts away the left sleeves of his tunic and overcoat, showing the mottled white brown flesh beneath.

"Bitch," he whispers under his breath before focusing on the mind of one of the females and drawing his long knife down his arm from wrist to elbow, "Bleed." Smiling at the sight of his red-black life pooling on his forearm, he listens as a muted thud and concerned voices drift down from the upper story window from which he saw her head but minutes before.
Lily felt the ache as the skin of her arm parted; rubbing the irritation with her free hand, the lukewarm damp that met her touch surprised her. The sleeve, crimson from the arterial wound, stains her hand as well as she touched her lips, leaving a brief crimson mark before she collapsed heavily to the floor.
Djehuty
Djehuty

Back to top Go down

Post  Liv Sat Nov 05, 2011 1:16 pm

I turn, shocked as Lily falters. Pushing the men aside, I kneel beside her, pressing my hands over the wound. How had this happened?! We were right there beside her. The wound is so deep, I can see muscle and tendon. And the blood.There's so much blood...and over all else, a blackness I can almost see, like smoke. I take a deep breath and focus on the wavering stuff, and the darkness snaps into shape. Oh hell, some sort of spell work. Blood magic, and the worst kind too. I sing three sharp notes, notes like breaking glass, hard and cutting, infusing them with the power of a knife severing a rope. The blackness is gone, but the blood is still pumping. Closing my eyes, I call up my gift in a rush, and raise my voice, singing the tissue back into its proper place, bending my mind to the blood vessels. Close, seal yourselves, lest you perish, my song says. I sing of balance in the body, of the river of blood running smooth in its proper courses. After a long moment, I can feel the blood stop seeping between my fingers. I open my eyes, and frown. I worked too fast and carelessly; there's still a long pink scar down the girl's arm, badly repaired flesh still showing where the cut began. But at least she is alive.
Slowly, I stand, my hands still hot with blood. "Who did that?" I ask, and my voice is flat and icy. I stand tall as I can, calling on all the haughty pride I can, letting my anger fuel me and wrap me round like a cloak. This girl is under my charge. I told her she'd be safe, and she was wounded. Someone will pay for what just happened.
"Tell me who did this. Tell me now." My words are quiet, but they ring in the air, filled with unyeilding power. I want the truth, and I'll have it.
Liv
Liv
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Kaija Sat Nov 05, 2011 2:34 pm

I walk up and stand beside Liv. Growling low, I whisper, "Who hurt my sister?" I look over to Liv and nod, *I'm with you."

Kaija

Back to top Go down

Post  Liv Sat Nov 05, 2011 2:46 pm

*guard your mind, my girl.* I say silently, nodding to show that I have heard, *there's dark magic being done. Be careful.*
Liv
Liv
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Djehuty Sat Nov 05, 2011 2:47 pm

A cold shiver runs down his spine; looking to his arm, he sees the wound has closed leaving only the telltale crusting of blood on his skin. Energy seems to swirl down from above and he pulls his lapels closer against the sudden chill. "This was supposed to be easy," he mutters as he pulls his creased papers from a pocket and studies them again. An old photograph slips from the paperclip and drifts ground ward till he intercepts it and stares at it, two of the twelve faces circled with a white grease pencil. "Hans, you idiot. Ignacy was all honor, but this is the least I'd expected of you."
Djehuty
Djehuty

Back to top Go down

Post  Kaija Sat Nov 05, 2011 2:48 pm

I block off all roads into my mind, but keep them avilable, just in case I need to use them. "Shall we?" I say, and prepare myself to stalk down our prey.

Kaija

Back to top Go down

Post  Liv Sat Nov 05, 2011 2:53 pm

Tipping my head back, I draw a deep breath. "Lads, watch us. We need to do a bit of worm-hunting." Then I take Kaija's hand, her shorter fingers slotting into mine. I catch her eye. *Let's go.* Taking another deep breath, I begin to sing, a low, repetitive chant that lets my mind sink from everyday consciousness, into the magics. I can see the magics around us; the ley-lines, the ghostly shimmers of spirits and spells past and future, the shining white of Kaija's power. I reach out to her. *Lead the way.*
Liv
Liv
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Djehuty Sat Nov 05, 2011 2:54 pm

The minds; he touches them outside, some icy, some burning with heat. He prods one, an old, confused one; finding something he recognizes, he readies his knife again, pressing the point to his temple and setting the pommel perpendicular to the wall before flinging his whole weight against it. Bone cracks and a bright, sheer pain flashes through his vision before darkness creeps in. Grasping the hilt, he just manages to pull the blade free before passing out.
Djehuty
Djehuty

Back to top Go down

Post  Kaija Sat Nov 05, 2011 2:57 pm

"Who's the stupid berserker now?" I scream. "If you have any honor, show yourself! Leave my friends alone! Pretend you're a man and fight me!"

Kaija

Back to top Go down

Post  Liv Sat Nov 05, 2011 3:05 pm

I flinch. *Tone it down, will you? Sometimes stalking the prey works better.* Holding my focus, I turn, feeling through the magics. There's some noise in my outer world, but I'll leave that up to the lads. Right now...right now.... With a jolt, I see it again, that greasy magic, like smoke, a trail stretching outside. *Ah. There you are!* Like swimming through water, I follow the magic outside. A man. A man there. And his mind....the very sight makes me recoil; black and twisted, black like drying blood. Blood stretching out, staining. Now I understand. Blood calling to blood. What he does, his blood magic, convinces other living bodies that they have a wound. That's disgusting. I reach out to Kaija. *There. We have our eel.*
Liv
Liv
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Kaija Sat Nov 05, 2011 3:15 pm

I mentally roll my eyes at Liv. *You KNOW I can't see that right.*

Kaija

Back to top Go down

Post  Liv Sat Nov 05, 2011 3:23 pm

I make my way back, and come back to my body with a deep breath. "There's a man outside in the alley, and he's a blood magician. A fairly good one." I say, my eyes still closed. "If he works for your 'friends', Ignacy, tell them to call off their dog."
Liv
Liv
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Djehuty Sat Nov 05, 2011 3:26 pm

Clawing back up from the black, Lily's hand touches at her temple and winces, a deep ache in her head from the fluid loss causing stares to spring up before her eyes as she pushes herself up into a sitting position. Groaning, she attempts to focus her senses, the dull chatter of the male voices sweeping unintelligibly around the room. Gathered in the middle, they seem concerned with a crumpled pile of clothes while a mechanical whistle issues from a grey blur circling over their heads.

Djehuty
Djehuty

Back to top Go down

Post  Liv Sat Nov 05, 2011 3:33 pm

opening my eyes, I smile...then blink. The lads aren't in front of me. I glance about, and spot them across the room, around...I step forward, peering. Then my eyes widen.
Hans is on the ground, his head spilling brain matter and thick, clotting blood. I curse. Sick the man was, but no one deserves that. My hands ball into fists. When we get ahold of the blood mage, I am going to drown that talent of his.
I turn, hearing a muted curse. "You feel all right?" I ask as Lily sits up.
Liv
Liv
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Djehuty Sat Nov 05, 2011 3:36 pm

"Better once Tom Thumb stops dancing the hornpipe in my scull," she murmurs, eyes still unfocused. "What the hell happened?"
Djehuty
Djehuty

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 3 of 7 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next