Ties that Bind

Page 2 of 4 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Re:ties that bind

Post  Liv on Sun Aug 21, 2011 9:13 pm

"Accident." Sylus says testily, "I'm bad with water."
One of the men laughs, tipping his head back. He raises a hand to pet Sylus's feathers, the webs between his fingers stretched wide. "Then you've come to the wrong place, catbird." He glances over his shoulder, and barks, almost doglike. "Fedog, Meta, do that and you're on net duty for two days!" Sylus glances over his shoulder, glaring at the two children who are giggling, each holding sticks they had been trying to lift Ignacy's hat off with. The man turns back, smiling, his teeth sliding from sharp animal fangs into nearly human teeth. "No offense. The children can't resist japes. You can call me Dem. So, you're friends of our Liv then."
Liv
Admin

Back to top Go down

Re: Ties that Bind

Post  Liam on Sun Aug 21, 2011 9:21 pm

Sloshing out of the water "Yes," i pause "A, Truer, friend I couldn't have asked for." I smile at the childrens antics "My little sister and I were the same way" the tension slowly leaving though i notice the teeth i can sort of pass it off having seen liv do that in combat. looking around I silently thank the sky cloaked wanderer that Ignacy's sword is back at the Barrow. I offer my hand to the one who addressed me "I am called Liam"
Liam
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Liv on Sun Aug 21, 2011 9:33 pm

The man lays his hand against the stranger's palm, pressing it for a moment before pulling his hand back. "Well met."
"If you hand me your coat, I can dry it. All your clothes, actually." says a young woman on Liam's left with curling brown hair, craning her neck back to look him in the face. Her slanted eyes are the brown of tea that's been over-brewed. Without waiting for a response, she lays her hands on the coat fabric and whispers. Heat runs through the fabric, warming it, and the coat steams. The girl nods to herself, then reaches for Liam's chest. An older woman puts a hand on her shoulder. "Bad idea, Mela. Remember what happened last time. We don't want more skin burns." The adolescent girl nods ruefully.
"So," says Dem, "You two, you're what...Tuatha? Or...no, you're human, aren't you?" he says, nodding to himself. "Been a bit since humans came here."
Liv
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Liam on Sun Aug 21, 2011 9:44 pm

I nearly jump out of my coat as it steams before trying a wane smile "Hello to you and my thanks." then looking back my eyes a little wild "I remember and yes i am human. just an, odd, one" the idea of making a joke about catching my death a second times seems a little too morbid. "I take it you are Liv's Kin?" some seem to have a resemblance to her. the one who dried my shirt could easilly be a younger sister, and say more to myself then anyone "what kaija wouldn't give to see here" even to myself i know it is a poor attempt to mask my own panic
Liam
Admin

Back to top Go down

Re:Secrets Best Kept

Post  Liv on Sun Aug 21, 2011 9:51 pm

A babble of voices breaks out again, affirming each of their relationships to Liv and her mother. Dem raises his voice over the crowd again. "Yes, yes, don't overwhelm the lads. Liv is ours. We're the Twistbank Holt of the Streamchurn Clan." he points to a great, high hill ahead. "There's the holt. We'll get you dried and fed and watered. Meta, Fedog, go tell the Holt that we've got visitors." With barking chitters, the two dark-haired children leap into the river, and sleek black arrows streak away down the river.
Liv
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Liam on Sun Aug 21, 2011 10:10 pm

"Did" I start before shaking my head, my mind latching onto the full formal introduction "it has been a long time since I have heard so formal of an Introduction." now that the shock of the water and the kindred is beginning to wear off I begin to take stock of my surroundings without moving my eyes or gawking like school child finding Liv and Dejhuty. I smile at my friends standing so close the joke dies on my lips as i think about where i am, I wouldn't mortify Liv by implieing she and him were courting, yet anyways
Liam
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Liv on Sun Aug 21, 2011 10:18 pm

Outside the holt, the sun shines down on the river, making it gleam silver as it winds slowly by. I take a net from the wall, and hand one end to Djhuety. He looks at the woven birch cord of the netting as if he’s never seen anything like it.
“We fish the River with nets.” I say, “Two people take either side of the net and wade into the water. Then we sweep the net forward.” I take one side of the net, and lead him forward. “It’s really pretty easy. Just don’t slow down, or the fish will get out under the bottom.” I strip off my boots and socks, drop my satchel on the bank, and sit up, waiting for Djhuety to finish rolling up his black pants. He shoots dubious looks at the glimmering water, his eyes rolling into a shade of violet that tells me he’s feeling unsure. I carefully place my fingers; I’ve dislocated them too many times in the net to be incautious. I glance up and grin at Djhuety, who seems almost catlike in his disinclination to get in the water. “Come on already!” I laugh. Reluctantly, he steps into the water, stopping when it reaches his knees. I shake my head and wade in until the water is up to my waist, taking the other end of the net.
“Not you, girl!” Sruth barks, pulling the net from me and stretching it taunt, “You’ve got no need for nets. You’ll do better than that in your pelt.”
I frown over at the older woman, her white hair gleaming in the sun. “Grandmother, I’m in clothes.” Grandmother waves a hand, as if swatting away a fly. “Oh, phish. Duck under the surface, you’ll be fine. Then net will catch your garb, and you can get them before you’re out of the water again. Though why you never learned to keep your clothes in the Change I’ll never…” she trails off at the look on my face. I’ve always been embarrassed that I still shed my clothes when I shapeshift, like a child, when most kits master the charm to retain their clothes as they shapeshift by the time they’re twenty. I shake my head uncomfortably, looking around. “Not here, Grandmother, it’s too…not right now.”
Grandmother raises a brow. I lower my head. “Grandmother, I’ll look the fool Changing here, right in front of everyone. You know my Change isn’t…very good.” Grandmother glares up at me, and snorts. “Don’t be thick. You’re among family.” I grimace. That’s the problem, I feel like saying. I hate displaying my pathetic shape shifting in front of my family. I always have.
Sruth studies me sharply. “Keep leaving off your Change my girl, and you’ll get rusty. When was the last time you Shifted?” I shrug, my expression a little mutinous. “A few weeks. Maybe a month.” Sruth hisses between her teeth. “You’re being foolish, kit. Enough. Change already!”
I frown, but it’s easier to humor Grandmother than to fight with her. “Fine.” I say with bad grace, before grabbing a deep breath. I drop forward into the water. My dark hair floats out about me, pushed to and fro in the current. Through the sun-speckled water, members of my holt flit back and forth, graceful in their movements, rubbing up against me in a friendly way in passing. I rub noses and touch foreheads, then, once they pass by, start the Change, my bones burning, by back screaming with pain as it arches, my skull throbbing. Finally, I’m four legged. I grab another deep breath from the surface, and dive. Everybody saw that. They'll never say anything...they never do...but damn, I hate everyone watching my awful Change. I take off into the water, darting, letting the current push me forward, dancing through. Everyone’s out today, playing, relaxing or fishing, some digging for crawdads and some pulling water weed to use in stews. After a bit I manage to get into the middle of a shoal of grayling, and fairly soon I’ve dropped twenty glistening fish on the shore. That should be enough for now. I’d rather keep playing…but Djhuety looks uncomfortable. Sruth is saying something to him, and he doesn’t look happy. Pushing to the bottom of the river, I start my Change again.
Taking human shape, I push my head from the surface of the water, swimming for the net and my clothes. There’s a sound, and I look up, smiling in recognition. “Liam! Ignacy! How did you…Ignacy, you're soaked. What did you do, fall in the river?” I pull on my wet shirt, then my jeans, before wading to the bank and walking out of the river, shaking myself so that my long hair whips about my head and water sprays in all directions. Sylus clacks his beak loudly. Djhuety frowns, steppig from the water, shaking each leg as he does. He pulls a corner of his dress shirt out, using it to rub his glasses clean. I roll my eyes, and run up to the men, hugging Liam.
Liv
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Liam on Sun Aug 21, 2011 10:31 pm

I break off for a moment and glance at Liv eyes dancing since there is someone other then the pyro i know "Sort of" i laugh "The Look suits ya Girl, Snuck the storyteller off to meet the family?" I tease playfully. "Sylus got us and says he dropped us by accident" I know my eyes are a little wilde and my smile is a little wooden. "Everyone here has been, Refreshing. to bad Kaija isn't along." I grin. Turning back to Dem and Mela "Thank you, Both." I say
Liam
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Liv on Sun Aug 21, 2011 10:44 pm

Dem nods, diving into the river. Mela smiles up shyly. "Sorry about the scorch marks." Then she turns, running into the holt. I glance down. There are two black hand marks on the side of Liam's coat. I wince laughingly. "Oh no. Has Mela been working on that fire charm again?"
Liv
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Liam on Sun Aug 21, 2011 10:51 pm

I chuckle "It was a good turn, and didn't go as horribly wrong as when I thought I found a Valkierie" I laugh for a moment before stopping suddenly, panic flashing across my face. "or my first attempt to cook, or being used as a battery" I laugh a little at these last two. I crouch down and splash water in my face "we are in Fae lands aren't we?" I ask Rhetorically
Liam
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Liv on Sun Aug 21, 2011 10:59 pm

I cock my head slightly. Why is his head so full of nervous anxiety? "Yes. This is Kindred country. My mother's home." As he stands, I smile. "Come along, you lads can dry off and have a bite to eat by the fire." I glance back at Djhuety. "Come on, lad." He nods slowly, glancing back at where Sruth is sitting on the opposite bank.
Once we're settled at the back of the Holt on the wide benches, I glance up at Liam. "Something wrong? You're nervous."
Liv
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Liam on Sun Aug 21, 2011 11:11 pm

"just something that happened a long time ago Liv." I smile wanely "I will tell you another time, I would rather not risk offense by telling it now" looking around I smile and it almost reminds me of home for a moment "You are lucky Liv, you don't always see it but you are." then as an afterthought "You and the storyteller, though if you are going to sneak off alone coming here might not be the quietest" I tease lightly then I see one of the children shapeshift again and go Rigid as a post for a moment before sighing "any luck helping dejhuty?"
Liam
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Liv on Sun Aug 21, 2011 11:22 pm

I roll my eyes. "My whole family and now you too. Djhuety and I did not sneak off. We got snatched by a couple of bastards." I sit up at the expression on his face. "We're fine. Sylus got us out of there." I turn. "Kesha, where's your dress? Temal will tan that tail of yours if you've lost another one." With a hiss, the otter cub runs off. I turn back to Liam, and blink. He looks frightened, his head full of the greyish greens of agitation. "Hey, relax, really. And yes, we did get a little bit further on the road. Grandmother knows what race Djhuety is of, and who we need to speak with to learn more."
Liv
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Liam on Sun Aug 21, 2011 11:29 pm

I smile "good, I admit I am not sure if can handle finding that out at this moment." watching some of the pups caper about seems calming, "And if this were the first time we found the two of you alone together I wouldn't tease you as much." I smile to take any potential bite out of my words "Gah I am a pathetic Norseman in my age, some children have me panicky" I laugh at myself knowing my tone borders on how I used to talk "I would never live this down if Kaija's and my siblings were here." A low chuckle
Liam
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Liv on Sun Aug 21, 2011 11:39 pm

I lean forward. "Liam, none of the children bite...well, at least they've got more respect than to bite adults. Really, they aren't going to bother you. I know it can be strange, but nothing stranger than the Nightside. Now eat your chowder, before Sylus finishes your bowl." I stare at him as he eats. "You're scared. And don't fob me off, I and everyone in this place can see your emotions, they all know you're afraid, so you're not being tactful keeping silent. What's got you scared? What's up?"
Liv
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Liam on Sun Aug 21, 2011 11:59 pm

I sigh, " I said I thought I met a valkerie once, it was after my first 'reset', and" I sigh "A grown man with all the knowledge of an infant well I thought the eyes of the woman were off but didn't know why. I had heard about Valkeries when I was near a Villiage, remember the song?" here I sing the line "skin pale as glaciers, eyes gold as amber, and hair flows as red as a new blooded blade" My eyes get far off "I remembered the burning boat so I knew I had died a hero, but wasn't in the golden halls. So I asked the woman why I wasn't taken when I died. it didn't end well" I look at her "I realize Your family is Different, so it isn't rational it just is, for now." there is a note of self reproach in my voice. "besides, only way to get past something is to deal with it right?" I nudge her playfully "Glad i couldn't remember when we met I would have missed out on a Hell of a pair of Friends"
Liam
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Liv on Mon Aug 22, 2011 12:06 am

"Ah." I say, nodding, understanding. "I see. And I don't blame you at all. We Kindred are a very big racial tree, with lot of family branches. And some of the branches of that tree are...truly nasty. Some of our relatives we all try to avoid."
Liv
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Liam on Mon Aug 22, 2011 12:14 am

I nod "That is why I was simply keeping it to myself." I smile "and why i sometimes loose patients with you two" I grin slowly making myself relax "Your family really are fond of you. Liv, go play with some of the Kits, they look like they missed you" I know my voice is a little far off but the words ring true as some of the Kits look at her hopefully
Liam
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Liv on Mon Aug 22, 2011 12:24 am

I glance at them, and smile. "They do want to play. I do warn you boys, you come here and you're bound to get used for a babysitter, see if you don't." Then, with a smile for my friends, I take Lam and Djhuety's hands. "Come and play. They're curious about you. They want to get to know you all. " Then I trot forward, raising my voice. "Who wants to play Fishing in the Dark?" The children and quite a few adults cheer and grin, turning to race outside where there's room for the game. I glance back at my friends, grinning. "Well, come on."
Liv
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Liam on Mon Aug 22, 2011 12:28 am

I look at Dejhuty "what are we getting into?" I ask Laughing some of the tension fading it is easier to just look at them as kids rather then as fae. "wait how do we play?"
Liam
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Liv on Mon Aug 22, 2011 12:35 am

The crowd forms a great ring, laughing and grinning, and all of us bark sharply. Laughingly, a woman somewhere in her second century steps into the circle, admitting that she was the last one to make a sound. She covers her eyes with a scarf pulled from her belt, and holds her hands out, spinning round and round. "Don't let her touch you or you're it." I whisper to my friends. I motion to the kits, all giggling and chittering and talking, to be silent, grinning with a finger over my lips. The woman finishes her spin, and begins to stumble about, reaching into thin air. Covering their mouths, the children run here and there. I dance out of the way as she reaches in my direction.
Liv
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Liam on Mon Aug 22, 2011 12:42 am

I barely resist laughing as I recognize the game, my distraction almost getting me tagged. it take a quick roll to avoid it which means more ducking and dodging since it made too much noise
Liam
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Liv on Mon Aug 22, 2011 12:49 am

The rest of the afternoon is spent in games and play and fun on land and water. As the sun sets, I drop happily down between my friends, who are happily exhausted. It has been a good day. Moira takes a seat beside us, smiling, and I introduce my friends, introducing her to them as the Holt Mother. "So, you're the man who was dead." she says to Liam, "Grandmother Sruth told us your story. Welcome back to the world."
Liv
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Liam on Mon Aug 22, 2011 12:58 am

Chuckles at the statement "Thankyou and yes I am. how did you guess?" I tilt my head to the side smiling. it was good to play even if i couldn't keep up when in the water "And it isn't just my story, Liv and Dejhuty were in the thick of things with me." I smile trying to give credit where credit is due "I am more of, what were they called, bit player?" I say with a laugh
Liam
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Dunstfinkler on Mon Aug 22, 2011 1:06 am

i put on a cockney accent and say "i hate fishing".

Dunstfinkler

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 4 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

View previous topic View next topic Back to top