The Nightside
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Dreams and other Portents

2 posters

Page 1 of 3 1, 2, 3  Next

Go down

Dreams and other Portents Empty Dreams and other Portents

Post  Djehuty Tue Aug 16, 2011 8:01 pm

We return to table, intending to rejoin the others; however, we return to a table lined with a half dozen glasses, and under the last, a scrap of paper. Frowning as Liv slips back into her chair, I remove the glass and smooth the paper. The ink is smudged by the condensation, but I can still just make out "Be back, gone to forge..." Two scrawls at the bottom indicate the authors. Sighing, I pass it to Liv and watch as her brow furrows while she deciphers the script. "Worrisome, those two... not sure I want to know." I wave down a passing barmaid and point to a couple of items on the menu. Making a face, she walks off and I turn back to Liv. "You've seen her." It's not a question.
Djehuty
Djehuty

Back to top Go down

Dreams and other Portents Empty Re:dreams

Post  Liv Tue Aug 16, 2011 8:14 pm

I meet his eyes. "The red haired lady. I have. She told me to watch over you."
Liv
Liv
Admin

Back to top Go down

Dreams and other Portents Empty Re: Dreams and other Portents

Post  Djehuty Tue Aug 16, 2011 8:21 pm

I look away. "Not me that needed taking care of." I manage through clenched teeth. Mist in my eyes, I turn as the barmaid returns with grapefruit in a glass with a salted rim. I reach into a pocket and give her a small handful of coins.
Djehuty
Djehuty

Back to top Go down

Dreams and other Portents Empty Re:Secrets Best Kept

Post  Liv Tue Aug 16, 2011 8:29 pm

I look away, sipping a glass of water the barmaid has put in front of me.
"You can't spend your whole life atoning for past sins, you know." I say softly. "I've tried it. It isn't much use."
Liv
Liv
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Djehuty Tue Aug 16, 2011 8:37 pm

I frown over the table. "Guilt doesn't loose it's claws so easy." I taste the gin in the glass and smile slightly as I think of Liv's response if she suspected my beverage. "Besides, she's not dead." I say this with a level of confidence I don't feel.
Djehuty
Djehuty

Back to top Go down

Post  Liv Tue Aug 16, 2011 8:40 pm

"No, I never said she was..." But she's not human either, I add silently. She's something else. "And what you did, it may not be as bad as you thought; she is returning, in dreams, yes, but returning all the same. That's a good sign. Some spells, some workings, just take time to reverse."
Liv
Liv
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Djehuty Tue Aug 16, 2011 8:45 pm

"So how do we find her?" I suddenly feel like pacing, but choose to drum my foot in stead. "Who might know where a story would take refuge?" My eyes go green with excitement.
Djehuty
Djehuty

Back to top Go down

Post  Liv Tue Aug 16, 2011 8:49 pm

"I don't know..." I say slowly, "There are so many worlds, so many forms of being..." his eyes fade to a brownish hue as I speak, his face falling. I smile, and put my hand on his. "But we can look. We can try, at least. No harm in trying. And I may know a few places to start." I have no clue, not really, but there has to be someone or something in the Nightside we can ask, and failing that, there's always Kindred lands.
Liv
Liv
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Djehuty Tue Aug 16, 2011 9:04 pm

Smiling, I peer out the window into the street. "Where to?"
Djehuty
Djehuty

Back to top Go down

Post  Liv Tue Aug 16, 2011 10:13 pm

I stand, slinging my satchel over my shoulder. "Why don't we try...well, the Library should be a good place to start. With any luck we'll find something similar, and perhaps its remedy." It's better than anything else I can come up with anyhow. I step out the door, glancing over my shoulder to smile at Djhuety. Then I stiffen. His eyes have turned bright red.
Liv
Liv
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Djehuty Tue Aug 16, 2011 10:36 pm

The street is empty; it's never empty... shadow's fall long as I stare out the window. Its gotten cold, so very cold; then I see the shadows flitting in the shadows. I turn to shout a warning to Liv, but as I turn a massive figure rises behind her and wraps a meaty hand around her mouth and another around her waist and proceeds to drag her back out of sight into an ally. I spring from my seat upsetting the table in the process; I make it less then three steps before I feel something heavy fall against the side of my head and in the same moment, I taste a filthy rag forced between my teeth. I fall heavily to the floor, and try to focus on Liv through the fog lifted in my head from the blow. She is bound on the floor, a white strip of cloth preventing her from speaking as a monstrous form kneels over her and binds her hands together behind her back. The look in her eye is murderous and I see her glance furtively to her bag, and next to it, her knife jammed into the wooden floorboards.

"Take them both... they're good as kin ain't they?" A dark voice above me mutters to his companion as Liv and I struggle against our captors.
"This 'un's trouble."
"Can't ya handle a slip of an otter?" The weight shifts on my back and the figure on my shoulders leans over and cuffs Liv hard on the side of the head, and I see her eyes unfocus and close. Struggling hard to get mine off, I feel the same hand hit me...

Darkness...
Djehuty
Djehuty

Back to top Go down

Post  Liv Tue Aug 16, 2011 10:52 pm

I wake in darkness with a pounding head and a snarl. Those bastards! When I get out of here, wherever I am, someone will surely bleed for this indignity. How dare they! And brand me an ass for not realizing, not noticing these enemies right in front of me. Stupid, stupid, to get so distracted!
There's still something in my mouth. Forcing my teeth to change, I bite down sharply, digging my teeth into it, grinding, and shred the cloth. With a hard shake of my head, I shed it. I take a deep breath. Then I let out my fury in a flurry of curses. French, Latin,River tongue, Elfin, Gaelic, Welsh and Spanish epithets pour from my tongue, and I kick and writhe, trying to loosen my legs. I slide my legs loose of their bonds, and then start on my hands...but pain shoots up my hands, up my right arm. With a small cry, I still. Something must be dislocated, or broken. I take a deep breath, letting the pain ease.
"Djhuety?" I call, forcing my voice to remain calm, "Djhuety, say something."
Liv
Liv
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Djehuty Tue Aug 16, 2011 10:59 pm

Liv's voice cuts through the dark, words I've never heard before coloring the air; then she calls me.

"To dark to make out anything... I don't think they'll give me a light this time." I say in a dead tone. "Sorry they got you."
Djehuty
Djehuty

Back to top Go down

Post  Liv Tue Aug 16, 2011 11:03 pm

"Oh, they'll pay the price for it. In blood. I'll make sure of that, by yew and dark water I will!" I growl. Then I draw another breath. "Are you well? I mean, are you okay?"
Liv
Liv
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Djehuty Tue Aug 16, 2011 11:07 pm

I shift slightly, "No... They have us and they know more about me then I know myself." I slip a hand into a pocket, sigh and pull out an old zippo lighter. Flipping it, a blue, green light flicks out in an orb less then a foot wide.
Djehuty
Djehuty

Back to top Go down

Post  Liv Tue Aug 16, 2011 11:14 pm

I bare my teeth in a fierce grin, my teeth still long and otter-sharp. "They may know you, my lad. But now they've put me in the net with you. And they don't know me." I twist my hands behind me, but the pain makes me yelp. "Na Cac! Can you get my hands free?" I swallow hard against the ache, turning my back to him to let him reach my hands.
Liv
Liv
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Djehuty Tue Aug 16, 2011 11:21 pm

Crouching close with the light, I look at Liv's hands, the flesh discolored from the rough treatment and her thumb twisted at an odd angle. Winching I undo the knot and slip her hands free. Before releasing them, I run a finger over her thumb, then quickly yank on it and release. An audible pop reaches my ears over the sound of Liv's hiss, and I retreat. "Best to do it quick..." I mutter before lifting our weak light high, trying to get a sense of the room.
Djehuty
Djehuty

Back to top Go down

Post  Liv Tue Aug 16, 2011 11:28 pm

I nod, giving my friend a quick smile. "Thanks. I hate doing that for myself." I rub my hands together, wincing and flexing them, then gasp. One of the wrist bones is out too. Closing my eyes, I snap it back into place. I swallow hard against the cry in my throat. Forcing my teeth back into their human shape, I take a long slow breath. Slowly, very quietly, I raise my voice in a healing song, reminding my body of its proper form and workings, forcing my Power into the work. Very slowly, my hands lose their terrible ache, healing and smoothing. I can feel some of my other aches heal too. I flex my hands, nod to myself, then turn to my friend. Putting a hand on either side of his head, I call up what power I can, reminding his body of its strength, health and vitality. I sit back on my haunches, cocking my head. "How's that? Better?"
Liv
Liv
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Djehuty Tue Aug 16, 2011 11:34 pm

I nod briefly and point to the limits of the light; tall stacks of books liter the room while high shelves stretch floor to ceiling. Three armchairs appear in the dim glow, dusty blankets tossed over their backs and small tables affixed to their sides... to the left, a brass brassier, the metal discolored from years of use lies empty and dust filled. "This is not like them," I murmur.
Djehuty
Djehuty

Back to top Go down

Post  Liv Tue Aug 16, 2011 11:42 pm

For a moment, I stare. Then I snort. "They locked a Bard and a Talespinner in a library. Your enemies are thick as river mud in January, my friend." Then I look up at him. "They must have been tracking us, to catch us so neatly. Why do they want you? Did you ever find out?"
Liv
Liv
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Djehuty Tue Aug 16, 2011 11:47 pm

I shake my head. "They locked me in a concrete cube last time and all but forgot about me. I don't know what they would want from me if they don't try to use me when I'm in their power." I whisper to the flame and it jumps from the lighter and spins into one, two, four light, reproducing until the whole ceiling is pin pricked with the floating flames and a light sound, like chimes, in the air. "Lets see what they want us to see." I pick the first book in reach up off a table and open it at random.
Djehuty
Djehuty

Back to top Go down

Post  Liv Tue Aug 16, 2011 11:52 pm

For a moment, I smile up at the star-like fires. Then I step forward, glancing at the book. "O! from what power hast thou this powerful might,
With insufficiency my heart to sway?" I read aloud, "To make me give the lie to my true sight,
And swear that brightness doth not grace the day? That's...Shakespeare, right?"
Liv
Liv
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Djehuty Wed Aug 17, 2011 12:01 am

I nod. "The Dark Lady. Leanan said that she was his lover after the death of his son, Hamnet, and that she inspired him to his greatest works after that... I've got more quotes from the sonnets in this one, though it looks more like a field journal; damned unprofessional to daydream in a official document." I set it down and shift the pile. Most of it looks like loose bound paper roughly bound in paperback form, but others have an older look; several on the shelves look more like leather folios of brown paper bound with twine. Real books with stamped titles dot the crowd, but on the whole, they are the minority.
Djehuty
Djehuty

Back to top Go down

Post  Liv Wed Aug 17, 2011 12:06 am

I glance over the papers, flipping them idly. "I wonder who wrote all this... looks like he was quite a fan." I flip over a page, and cock my head, surprised. A sketch of a hill with doors spread wide open in its side lays beside another sonnet. "Hmmh. A folklorist as well. Look, he drew a sidhe here."
Liv
Liv
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Djehuty Wed Aug 17, 2011 12:10 am

I lean over and freeze. Liv glances over her shoulder at me, but my eyes focus only on the page. "Where is that." The tone is even, without inflection as my eyes glaze slightly... I smell the marsh for a moment before it is replace once more with the dust of the room.
Djehuty
Djehuty

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 3 1, 2, 3  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum