The Nightside
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Marks of Breeding

4 posters

Page 3 of 4 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Go down

The Marks of Breeding - Page 3 Empty Re: Below the Earth

Post  Liv Sun Jul 31, 2011 10:13 pm

"You say that like it's a problem." I say, noticing a fresh cup of tea beside me. I take it gratefully, and the soothing mixture comforts my throat. I stare at my friend over the rim of my mug. "Is it the idea of Sidhe blood that's got you upset? If I were you I'd take it as an honor. The Sidhe are great, and not like the elves think they are. They're a good people. If one of your parents was a halfbreed of Sidhe blood, take it as a point of pride, my lad."
Liv
Liv
Admin

Back to top Go down

The Marks of Breeding - Page 3 Empty Re: The Marks of Breeding

Post  Djehuty Sun Jul 31, 2011 10:18 pm

I rise slightly in my seat. "But I'm not that special! Nothing miraculous; I don't even remember my parents or half my childhood!" Exhausted, I slump again, looking irritated at the tea as it changes its color and flavor, trying to anticipate my mood.
Djehuty
Djehuty

Back to top Go down

The Marks of Breeding - Page 3 Empty Re:the Marks of Breeding

Post  Liv Sun Jul 31, 2011 10:27 pm

"Not miraculous? Bull shit." I say sharply, "You have the power of your parents' people. It's a sad thing, that you were left alone, and I can feel for you, but your talent is a gift. Treat it as such. And you've got the added bonus of looking completely human. You should count yourself lucky, from the way I see it."
Liv
Liv
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Djehuty Sun Jul 31, 2011 10:30 pm

Glumly, I stare at the table, avoiding Liv's eyes.
Djehuty
Djehuty

Back to top Go down

Post  Liv Sun Jul 31, 2011 10:37 pm

"Honestly, I'm a little jealous." I say quietly, "I wish I looked as human as you. Though it's not hard to fool most humans about that." I smile ironically in the lambent light. “It’s part of why I travel in the worlds of men and not the worlds of the Kindred. There are a lot fewer humans that can tell what I am than Kindred who can tell what I’m not. Course both worlds have their problems. But I fit in one as well as the other.” I chuckle, my throat a little tight. I thought I’d gotten past this a long time ago, this anger and pain over my mixed blood. But that business with the elf has brought it all to the surface once more. Sometimes I wish that fool of a fiddler who fathered me had never gone wandering. If only a Kindred harper had wandered into our holt instead…or if that fiddler had found a smiling human girl and I’d been born to them. How different life would be. To be full blood. To be properly one thing or the other. I stare past Djhuety’s sulking silhouette. If only…The idea dawns on me slowly. My eyes widen. It’s a mad idea, wild, crazy…but maybe….I gulp, trying to find enough air to speak the words.
“Djhuety, your gift …you can change what you speak of, right?” My voice quavers, sounding shaky and uncertain as it breaks the silence.
Liv
Liv
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Djehuty Sun Jul 31, 2011 10:43 pm

"Yes..." Hesitantly, I lift my eyes to hers. The pain and question speak volumes. "No." I put every ounce of none magical force behind my words that I can muster.
Djehuty
Djehuty

Back to top Go down

Post  Liv Sun Jul 31, 2011 10:46 pm

"You said yes first." I say softly, holding his gaze. "I do not ask this on a whim."
Liv
Liv
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Liam Sun Jul 31, 2011 10:47 pm

In a staggering run I bursts through the kitchen door and, sorta Beelining to the sink hitting head on the faucet before successfully dunking my head under the spout and drinking of the running water before sliding down the counter and sitting on the floor a goofy smile on my face
Liam
Liam
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Djehuty Sun Jul 31, 2011 10:51 pm

Glancing over with a shocked expression on my face, I look back at Liv and mouth, "Not now," before turning to Liam.
"You still with us?"
Djehuty
Djehuty

Back to top Go down

Post  Liv Sun Jul 31, 2011 10:52 pm

I growl low in my throat. "Not now? You can't weasel out of this, you know."
Liv
Liv
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Liam Sun Jul 31, 2011 10:58 pm

Continuing to grin "well the headache lessened under the water, and" brings fingers to my throat "yes i am still living, which is a very pleasant way to be thankyou again" looking between the two "any apples?"
Liam
Liam
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Djehuty Sun Jul 31, 2011 11:04 pm

Grabbing the rose red apple at my elbow, I toss it underhand at Liam before turning back to Liv. "No; I will not change your story." I close my eyes and massage my temples, "It's not safe. Bad... things... happen."
Djehuty
Djehuty

Back to top Go down

Post  Liv Sun Jul 31, 2011 11:07 pm

I fight to keep my emotions under control, but my throat is tight with fear, with anger and with pain. I have to be calm, I have to make sense. "Maybe if you knew the story, the whole of it, you'd understand why it needs changing." I sigh shakily, sitting back in my chair.“I’ve always made light of my blood with you lads, so let me tell you the truth of it. I’m a mistake. Malformed. Among most Kindred, sex and breeding with humans is one of the great taboos. I’m a stain on the blood, degenerate, a muddying of the lineage. And among men, there’s nothing worse than something that looks human, but isn’t. But it’s more than that. To be a halfbreed means to never be at home anywhere, because you’re not at home in your own skin. To never belong. To always be missing some part of you. To-“ I swallow hard- “to be forever torn. One part of me yearns for normality and calm, and one part of me aches for mad joys and wild abandon and freedom, and I’m forever tugged between the two halves of my own heart. I’m so sick of it all. But if you…if you did this...I’d be free of all of it. No more stones thrown. No more taunts and attacks and slanders and constant threats. No more constant pain.” I hold Djhuety’s kaleidescope eyes. “Please, Djhuety. Please do this for me.”

Last edited by Liv on Tue Aug 02, 2011 3:52 pm; edited 1 time in total
Liv
Liv
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Djehuty Sun Jul 31, 2011 11:16 pm

"You won't be you... at least not as you are now. The events of your life will change; I can't tell and control every bit. We may not even be friends when next we meet, if we ever see one another again." I look at her, searching for any indication that she may change her mind.
Djehuty
Djehuty

Back to top Go down

Post  Liv Sun Jul 31, 2011 11:19 pm

I glare up at the younger man. “You know, for an intelligent man, you can be an incredible dunce, and a coward with it. You’ve got the power at your fingers to fix this, to do anything at all. And you sit there like a rock in a pond and whine about making a mistake and waste it! You think you had it bad, a man with power raised among mortals? Then try it the other way. Try being the child who can’t do even the simplest things, whose family works to find things you can do without embarrassing yourself, the one who everyone pities because she’s weak and malformed and the poor thing could use a hand. All my life I’ve dreamed of having magic that was worth a damn. I’ve worked so hard to be stronger, to be better, and all the time I’ve known that I would never measure up, in spite of my efforts. And then there’s you, born with this amazing gift that you barely have to raise a finger to use. But what do you do? You fight it, you push it away, you hide it as if you were ashamed. You idiot! Magic is in your blood. Your feet walk. Your heart pounds. Your power works. It’s all a part of you. You’ve got Sidhe blood, by the Bright Lady and Great Lord! And if you’d stop hiding from who you are like a child, then maybe you’d do some good in the world!” I'm shouting by the end of my tirade, my hands balled into fists, tears pricking the corners of my eyes as pain roils in my chest, hot and dark. Gods damn him, why doesn't he understand?!!
Liv
Liv
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Liam Sun Jul 31, 2011 11:29 pm

while liv enters her tirade, I calmly cut the apple in half trying to gather the exact request before it finally clicks. Standing I take one of the thirds of the apple i have cut, and bite into it holding one in each hand and waiting calmly for her finish watching Djehuty's reaction. When she pauses for a breath I take one of the thirds and put it in her mouth to quiet her. "Liv." knowing I am going to get smacked for this "Look at me, the same passions you are complaining about are present in every person I have met, including Dead Boy." trying hard to be gentle and calm, "What you are asking of Djehuty, I understand but you found a place." I gesture around the house "and though we may not be all blood, Familly" tilting my head to the side "why risk it?"
Liam
Liam
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Liv Sun Jul 31, 2011 11:36 pm

I swallow, and take a few deep breaths. I glare up at Liam, but his words have taken much of the fire from me. Now, if anything, I just feel tired. "I ought to box your ear for a trick like that."
Liv
Liv
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Liam Mon Aug 01, 2011 12:00 am

with a Smile I lean Down "go ahead Liv." a hand resting on her shoulder, my face almost imperceptibly relaxing at the lack of a flinch. "you and the others helped me, a box in the ears when i do the same is a small price to pay"
Liam
Liam
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Djehuty Mon Aug 01, 2011 12:13 am

Rising in my seat, I brace my hands on the table, digging my nails into the cloth. Liam's intervention is appreciated, but this is the second time that Liv has questioned my reluctance to use my gifts, as if I have no good reason. "Real good? Like completely rewriting the closest thing to family that I've had in my life!?" My eyes roll from blue to grey, lightning flashing in my clouded eyes. "I made that mistake three years ago, and its not going to happen like that again. Selfish, yes, but I'm also saving you from ceasing to exist!! Don't you get it!? You may be ashamed of your blood, but you have more power then I have, and the favor of Gods and Fay, elves be damned! Why change that? Why become something your not!!!?" I sit back, stiff with anger.
Djehuty
Djehuty

Back to top Go down

Post  Liv Mon Aug 01, 2011 12:24 am

I lower my head, eyes wide, ashamed. I should have known. Now I understand why he fears his gift so. To have the pain of a mistake like that weighing your soul would make anyone fearful. And I just begged him, essentially, to relive an old pain. Why did I not listen? "Dia danu. I am sorry. Liam is right; you lads are kith to me. What that elf said...I was so wrapped up in my own pain that I did not think of what pain I could be causing you. I didn't know, and I didn't think." Standing, I put my arms around my friend's shoulders, hugging him tightly. ". "Perhaps you are right. Perhaps neither of us should be ashamed of who we are. Or afraid. Truce?"
Liv
Liv
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Dunstfinkler Mon Aug 01, 2011 12:27 am

running out the door with an acidic burning sensation in my throat i head for the toilet and starts puking, suddenly feeling as if a fist made out of acid was trying to maul its way out of my stomach i puke up a blood red chunk a little larger than my fist, "hi".

Dunstfinkler

Back to top Go down

Post  Liam Mon Aug 01, 2011 12:31 am

Liam smiles looks over at the Pyro "umm, i thought i drank too much." with that i go to the fridge take out some caramel, and cutting up a couple more apples. "snacks?" holding out a piece to each of my companions
Liam
Liam
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Dunstfinkler Mon Aug 01, 2011 12:33 am

i clean my chin with the cuff off my coat and say "sure something to eat would be pretty cool" apparently with no hangover.

Dunstfinkler

Back to top Go down

Post  Djehuty Mon Aug 01, 2011 12:44 am

I sigh, giving in for now... "We'll talk more later. I don't think now is the time to go any further." I return the hug. "I think I need to tell you a few more things about where I've been when we find some time alone."
Djehuty
Djehuty

Back to top Go down

Post  Liv Mon Aug 01, 2011 12:49 am

"Of course." I murmur, "and I shall be glad to listen." Then I glance at Ignacy and Liam, who are having an apple-slice fight at this point. I burst out laughing. "All right, enough you two! Go to bed or I will smack you, and it will hurt!" I say jokingly, shooing them down the hall.
Liv
Liv
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 3 of 4 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum