The Nightside
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Jumping At Shadows

4 posters

Page 5 of 5 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5

Go down

Jumping At Shadows - Page 5 Empty re:jumping

Post  Liv Sat Jul 28, 2012 11:13 pm

Turning, I raise my head, studying my friend for a long moment. "You think I do not pay enough heed to the human blood in me. You misunderstand. This pain will never let me forget my human blood. I have the emotional range and exquisite emotional depth of a human. And I have the memory structure of a Dratsie. Do you know what that means? It means that pain fades in decades rather than years. Every day, it's fresh, this ache, just as vivid. You think an apology, having a good cry and being with friends will heal everything?" A derisive snort slips my lips. "Don't insult us both in that way."
Liv
Liv
Admin

Back to top Go down

Jumping At Shadows - Page 5 Empty Re: Jumping At Shadows

Post  Liam Sat Jul 28, 2012 11:19 pm

" I didn't say it would heal a damn thing liv." I say slowly "I said it can help make it bearable." I am probably one of the few people who has any idea what it means to think in decades instead of days." I shrug "come here, you deserve to know why you got the welcome you got when you came home too." when i see her start to open your mouth "it was my stupidity and not an accusation Liv."
Liam
Liam
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Liv Sat Jul 28, 2012 11:27 pm

Carefully, I slip from the rock, gliding through the water to Liam's side. "Well?"
Liv
Liv
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Liam Sat Jul 28, 2012 11:36 pm

I drag the collar of my shirt to show a ragged scar still purple just below my collar bone " didn't stop and think, one of adrianna's people got ahold of some magic to look like you. we were so overjoyed that you were home no one thought to find out if it was real or not. it didn't start to click that we had the wrong person in the house until she started pestering us about her, where i had brought the body." i say "when i finally said to leave off since your other form doesn't take to sea water well. they pulled a cold iron knife and caught me off guard." I shrug " after that i started scouring for someone or something to help me learn to access the Ways, i was going to go look for you." I it is a wry smile that curls my lip "I think kaija had the same Idea." more softly " like it or not every member of that house loves you in their way. It wasn't that we wanted you to come home before you were ready, but we did want to know you were safe. Well and in my case i didn't want to get stabbed again" the remark is light sounding " are you ready to go back or want to stay out here longer?"
Liam
Liam
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Liv Sat Jul 28, 2012 11:51 pm

I glance away. "Back to the Nightside. Well...I might as well." Raising my eyes, I lay a finger on the scar, and close my eyes, singing a few notes. With a smile, I nod at the smooth skin. "And after that, I'm going to have to teach you to see glamoury. It's embarrassing that a man like you would have that blind spot."
Liv
Liv
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Liam Sat Jul 28, 2012 11:55 pm

"Actually i meant the holt Liv, there is still a celebration and we owe your grandmother some stories" I reply, "But i would welcome the lessons Liv." I shake my head " besides is it really that surprising, I mean I can't even read english without spectacles that turn the letters to runes"
Liam
Liam
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Liv Sun Jul 29, 2012 12:07 am

"If I left now I'd hear about it for the next decade, take my word." I murmur with a laugh. "Come on. Let's be going in before we're missed."
Liv
Liv
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Liam Sun Jul 29, 2012 12:15 am

I smile as we start walking, glad to hear some snark from her "Only a decade? you sure?"I ask nudging her lightly " besides like it or not we could use some help in finding kaija, maybe sruth would have an idea"
Liam
Liam
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Liv Sun Jul 29, 2012 12:32 am

"Probably...though I will say we're going to get lectures in exchange for the knowing. Or, at least I will." I roll my eyes. "Family."
Liv
Liv
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Liam Mon Jul 30, 2012 12:22 pm

I smile at her quip. "it could be worse." then shrug "so how many people do think are going to try to ask what we were up to?" realizing that our departure probably didn't go unnoticed. there are still alot of things to say but they will keep, better to let things happen in there own time.
Liam
Liam
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Liv Wed Aug 01, 2012 9:18 pm

"With a handfasting on?" I shake my head at his ignorance. "There are two holts here tonight, and much celebrating. They won't notice we've gone."
And I'm right, of course. The music has already begun, and the dancers are twirling.
It's only Grandmother Sruth who sees us. She sits tapping her foot to the music, leaning on a hazel wood cane. But her dark eyes are gleaming, fixed on me. The firelight outlines the nest of wrinkles her eyes nestle in, and gilds the grey in her hair.
"Well enough, kit?" she asks quietly. "Well enough." I reply, watching the dance. The music swirls and weaves, and the dance weaves itself around the tune. It's a good sight. A lovely sight. Away to one side, sitting on woven mats, my cousin and her mate are wrapped in one another's arms and in one another's soul skins, for this one evening, displaying emphatically that they are now tied. A twinge runs through me at the sight of the fine pelts, and at the smiles. Both lost to me, love and skin. Both gone.
"If you're going to ask, then ask, but don't be opening and closing your mouth like a trout."
I glance sharply at Grandmother, but it's Lam she's staring at.
Liv
Liv
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Liam Wed Aug 01, 2012 9:28 pm

" I am impressed and know enough to know that I will never understand what i am seeing" I smile at Sruth "some things I am simply not meant to know and quite frankly there is a beauty in being ignorant of it." My mouth still drops open at a few points, with an unpleasent twinge "humans exchange rings or pendants," my nose twitches "kindred folk share something more and that is enough for me to know." I recognize my curiosity was showing to all in the room so i try to differ the subject "why are you not dancing Ma'am? and before you say you are too old i have seen you walk both quicker and quieter some some of the young members of the household in which Liv and I dwell." admittedly quieter then ignacy isn't that impressive but she seems to appear out of no-where some times faster then Kaija does and that does impress me.
Liam
Liam
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Liv Wed Aug 01, 2012 9:48 pm

"Huh." Sruth snorts. "Of course I'm old, flatterer. My joints creak like willow in the wind, and I did three dances this night already. When you reach a thousand years we'll see if you're up to three dances in a row." She eyes the taller man speculatively. "I think you know what we share." Then, to my dismay, her eyes fall on me. "What you shared."
"Grandmother." I hiss out the word, anger snarling up the syllables. She frowns. Then she sighs. "Too bad. Too bad. But can't be helped." Then her dark eyes flick back to Liam. "You, boy. What's wrong with you? Worried about the kit? Or about some other thing?"
Liv
Liv
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Liam Wed Aug 01, 2012 9:55 pm

I chuckle "I have and am, and have been called a lot worse." I answer her initial remark "and Both, I had hoped since we were here I, no we, could ask for some guidance. I simply wished to wait since there is a celebration going on. Manners where probably the one good thing i had learned when I first met any of the kindred folk. and that is a story I will eventually share with liv that she can share when she comes back, if she wants" I know my smile is a bit fake for a moment "Kaija, my little sister and the last of the family I grew up with is missing our one lead was a dead end and I was hoping a new perspective might help us find a new one, or a path that might help us to a new one." I choose to act as if I have not heard the exchange between her and Liv rather then irritating the bardess more.
Liam
Liam
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Liv Wed Aug 01, 2012 10:03 pm

Sruth stares at Liam. Then she raises her eyes to the roof. "Baby geese. Young squirrels and ravens. A fawn. A baby snake. And now it's stray humans who need tending." Shaking her head, she gives me a grudging smile. "You will collect your strays, will you not my kit? And go chasing off after them to make sure they're safe."
"Kaija's no bird that fell from its nest, Grandmother." I retort. "And she may be in trouble. Can you help?"
The ancient lady shrugs. "Perhaps. Got her hair, boy? Got her name?"
Liv
Liv
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Liam Wed Aug 01, 2012 10:53 pm

"I should have both but I would need to go back to the borrow to get the hair." I pause for a moment "Unless you have that poppet liv." I honestly cant' remember if she grabbed it or not. "in a pinch would a Water Winder she hatched be able to help at all?" I am honestly confused but more hopeful then is likely wise to be.
Liam
Liam
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Liv Wed Aug 01, 2012 10:58 pm

Distastefully, I pull the poppet from my bag. "There's magic on this that I don't know. I can taste it. It is not pleasant. But I do not know it."
Frowning, Sruth takes it in two fingers. "I see."
Liv
Liv
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Liam Thu Aug 16, 2012 8:29 pm

when she pulls the poppet out the stink of it nearly makes me recoil, now that it is no longer hiding itself as Kaija it's own magic is at the fore "i don't want to know how much perfume the creature that made this has to use to hide that." still there is plain to see a lock of fire red hair woven into the head of the poppet
Liam
Liam
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Liv Thu Aug 16, 2012 8:51 pm

Sruth glances at us. Carefully, she lays the poppet on the earth. Then, setting her cane aside, she changes.
The grey-backed otter sniffs long and deep at the bundle of sticks and cloth. She bares her teeth, sneezing in great snorts. It would be comical to watch, if the times were not so dire.
"We have better sense of smell on four legs." I murmur to Liam. "Hence the performance."
"Performance my tail." Sruth mutters, rubbing her nose. "Demon scent. But that's only the top layer. Under that, the smell of dead man's fingers, and yew, and pig snout."
"Foxglove, yew and wormwood?" I repeat, puzzled. "Odd....unless...." I twine a finger in my hair. "Poisonous plants...."
"Someone you know?" Sruth asks pointedly.
I frown. "I'm afraid so."
Liv
Liv
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Liam Thu Aug 16, 2012 9:00 pm

"Thankyou Ma'am" I say feeling as if the words are rather lacking, then with a glance at liv "I guess I am not an oath breaker even if it was made rashly eh Liv" Recalling what i said after we pair were drugged "and somehow I don't think she is going to want to play As fair as last time" My lip curls, this I know, " I really can't tell you how thankful I am for your help" I say turning back to sruth, it is odd, I can feel the rage i knew as a young man almost tangibly waiting under the happiness that Kaija is likely alive, and certainty of knowing at least a direction to bear in.
Liam
Liam
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Liv Thu Aug 16, 2012 9:16 pm

Sruth waves a hand as she reclaims her seat. "Na, na. You're kith. Who denies kith?" Her dark eyes fall on me. "You leaving, then?"
"I must."
For a moment, Grandmother Sruth looks older. Then she shrugs. "Well enough. Go on, about your business. Off with you."
"May the water be clear for you, Grandmother." I murmur, standing. She eyes me. "None of that flattery, girl. Be back here next moon, hear? I'll not have you gone so long."
Her words wring a smile from me. "Of course, Grandmother. Next moon."
Then I turn, catching Liam's eye. We have work to do.
Liv
Liv
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Liam Thu Aug 16, 2012 9:23 pm

I turn to follow Liv "Until next time, and one of these times you will be given the story you are promised" I smile before turning to follow Liv out.

Once outside I say "It is nice coming here Liv, Thank you" it is simple but still It is important to me to tell her even if it isn't something she choose to do this time "So off to the Belladonna's Greenhouse Eh? Good, there is a debt to pay" then somehow reminded of by the statement "Oh you may want to further avoid the gilded cage, Heti brought out it's namesake"
Liam
Liam
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Liv Thu Aug 16, 2012 9:29 pm

"Do I want to know?" I ask as the veils part, and the smell of hot asphalt and rain and something rotting comes through.
Liv
Liv
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Liam Thu Aug 16, 2012 9:54 pm

"Probably Not" I answer "and well that is a scent that will clear your sinuses" I say shaking my head and blinking a bit
Liam
Liam
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 5 of 5 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum